With the imminent launch of the accredited Mental Health First Aid courses to be launched in January 2019, we decided to share these facts with you
- 75% of mental illness (excluding dementia) starts before 18 years of age.
- Over 15 people a day completed suicide in 2016 in the UK: that’s 5668 people. Compared with 1710 who died in traffic accidents in the UK in the same year.
- Men between 40 and 49 have the highest rates of suicide.
- In England, depression affects around 3% of women and 2% of men at any one time.
- In 62% of cases, eating disorders are recognised before the age of 16.
- People who experience trauma and abuse in childhood are about three times more likely to develop symptoms of psychosis later in life than those who do not.
Full course information will be available in January, in the meantime please view this illuminating video on the sharp difference between empathy and sympathy.